Accounting and Finance Pathway
CTE Pathways: Connecting High School to College and Career
Career and Technical Education courses help you get started on your pathway to success.
Students will be exposed to a wide range of accounting principles, such as accounting equation elements, business transactions, and financial statements.
- Accounting terminology.
- Basic accounting equation elements.
- Theory of debit and credit.
- Journalizing of transactions.
- Preparation, analysis, and interpreting of financial statements.
- Cash management.
Class availability may vary at your high school.
-Accounting and Finance - PDF
Student Leadership Organization
Future Business Leaders of American (FBLA) is the student leadership organization for Business Education. FBLA provides students with opportunities for leadership, community involvement, business partnerships, and competition with other students in events ranging from Public Speaking to Job interview to Parliamentary Procedures.
Beyond High School
There are a number of options for education and training beyond high school, depending on your career goals.
- Associate degree
- Bachelorís degree
- Professional degree
- On-the-job training
- Military training
- Accounting Clerk
- Business Education Teacher
- Tax Examiner
- Tax Preparer
There are four kinds of accountants:
- Public accountants work for public accounting companies. Some have their own businesses and do many different kinds of accounting for people outside the company.
- Management accountants keep track of the money spent and made by the companies for which they work.
- Internal auditors make sure that a company's accounting records are right. They check the records to see that no one in the company is stealing. They also check to see that no one in the company is wasting the company's money.
- Government accountants and auditors make sure that government accounting records are right. They also check the records of people doing business with the government.
Accountants, those with a CPA, continue to be in demand in both public and private industry; audit and tax specialties. Demand is especially high in the tax and health care areas. Accountants who have a lot of special skills, such as certified public accountants (CPAs) and certified management accountants should have the easiest time finding a job.
For information on salary projections, labor market demand, and training options, log on to www.utahfutures.org.