CTE Pathways: Connecting High School to College and Career
Career and Technical Education courses help you get started on your pathway to success.
Students prepare to assist a dentist or dental hygienist in performing the functions of a dental practice.
- Chair side assistance.
- Patient preparation.
- Dental office functions.
- Dental office laboratory procedures.
- Dental radiography.
Class availability may vary at your high school.
-Dental - PDF
Student Leadership Organization
HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) is the student leadership organization for Health Science Education students. HOSA provides students with opportunities to attain the knowledge, skills and leadership characteristics necessary to succeed in a health care profession, through leadership training, career training, and service projects.
Beyond High School
There are a number of options for education and training beyond high school, depending on your career goals.
- Associate degree
- Bachelorís degree
- Professional degree
- On-the-job training
- Military training
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Ceramist
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Laboratory Technician
- Health Science Education Teacher
- Orthodontic Technician
Dental Assistant: The dental industry is in critical need of dental assistants. Dentists are hiring more assistants to perform routine tasks so that they may devote more time to complex procedures.
- Employment for dental assistants is expected to increase 29 percent through the year 2016.
- Dentists are hiring more assistants to perform routine tasks so that they may devote their own time to more complex procedures.
- This is a non-traditional occupation for men. Less than 3 percent of the people employed in this occupation are men.
Source: Choices and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-2009 EditionUtah Wage
For information on salary projections, labor market demand, and training options, log on to www.utahfutures.org.